Thursday 27 August 2009

A day in the life of a garden designer

I love being a garden designer. ‘Why’s that, Linsey?’ I hear you ask. Well, today I spent most of my time collecting plants from a wholesale nursery – what’s not to love? For those of you not familiar with such an establishment, wholesale nurseries are where us garden designers and other garden trade types get our plants. I’m never happier than when I’m mooching around a nursery looking at plants. I use several wholesalers, but today I was at North Hill in Chobham, it’s just a brilliant, Aladdin’s cave of a place.

Wholesale nurseries are not open to the general public and are rather less tidy and organised than a garden centre - definitely no frills. Some of the plants are not looking their best, not all the plants are labelled – you really need to know what you are looking for and at. Part of the fun and interest for me is in finding new plants, or chancing upon a combination that would never have suggested itself naturally.

I really enjoy chatting to the knowledgeable plantsmen and women who run and staff the nurseries. John and Rob at North Hill are a mine of useful information and always good for a bit of banter.

After loading up, I delivered the plants to site and set them out ready for planting. So, my day was pretty perfect – even the weather was great. I probably don't need to point out that it beats sitting in an office.

Here are some shots of the nursery.









John doing a little dance for the camera



Rob pricing my plants



Not sure how I'm going to fit them all in my van.......

No comments: