Friday 14 August 2009

My Garden - Bracknell, Berkshire

I awarded myself a day off today, well, sort of. I have been designing a garden for clients in Silchester, Berkshire and it’s going well. Rather too well, in fact. So, I decided to take a break and come back to it tomorrow just in case I’m missing something obvious.

I did a little light plant shopping in Chobham, Surrey, ostensibly, for my Crowthorne client, but whilst I was there I couldn’t resist this rather pretty Buddleja ‘Apollo Blue’. Now, I’m a bit ambivalent about Buddleja – when they are, as is often the case, not correctly pruned and deadheaded they look hideous, but when looked after properly and smothered in butterflies they look gorgeous. I have a problem place by my shed at the top of the garden under a tree, so I thought it might brighten up the space as well as encouraging more insects into the garden.



The benefits of a bit of pottering in the garden cannot be overstated. Because I had given myself a bit of time to tidy up and generally mooch around, I spotted this sweet little white Cyclamen growing amongst Euphorbia Robbiae. I don’t actually remember planting it – I am suspicious that the squirrels have moved it from elsewhere in the garden. Anyway, it looks really pretty.



Something else giving me great pleasure in the garden at the moment is this Aster frikartii ‘Monch’. Also growing in a slightly tricky place where nothing else seemed happy. I planted it in the spring hoping to plug a gap in the border at the front garden and it’s repaid me handsomely.

No comments: