Friday 28 August 2009

George Pelecanos

I first read a George Pelecanos novel on holiday in Italy in 2000. It was the second book in the 'Washington Quartet' series and I absolutely loved it. I have since read everything he's written. Each year I save up his most recently published novel and read it on holiday.

So, I've been a Pelecanos devotee for almost a decade and am rather peeved that everyone else seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. Geoerge Pelecanos has suddenly become part of the zeitgeist. He was a co-writer and producer of several episodes of cult TV show The Wire - which I also loved and watched from its first screening. Now, even President Obama's getting in the act.

Read the Washington Quartet which starts with The Big Blowdown and continues with King Suckerman, The Sweet Forever and Shame the Devil. They're amazing. You'll be totally hooked.

No comments: